June 29th 2018
Dear Parents and Carers
I would like to extend a huge thank you to Claire Smith, Sebastian Emery and his mum Rosie, George Ferry and his dad Ian and Paul Whitehouse for all their hard work and help in the school vegetable garden last Saturday. The next working parties will be Friday 13th July 8.40am to 10.15am and Sunday 15th July 10 to 12pm. Thank you for your support.
Following the feedback from the parent questionnaire about school lunches I had a successful meeting with our caterers Caterlink this week. We have looked at the Autumn menu together and made a few changes based on what you said. In addition to this children in Key Stage 2 have the option of a packed lunch from Monday and for the rest of the term. Similar to the jacket potato option this is available on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursday and Fridays, but not Wednesdays. This may appeal to children who wish to have a school lunch but picnic outside if the weather is fine. The choice is:
- Half a baguette with a choice of ham, cheese, tuna or egg
- A biscuit / cake
- A piece of fruit Year 1 Phonics Your child has been given a note to bring home today telling them who their teacher will be in September. They have managed to spend a bit of time with their new teacher over the last week as we have been trying out the new classes. I gave you information about which team teachers would be in a couple of weeks ago. Here are the classes specifically:Nursery Miss WattonAsh Tree(YR) Mrs EllisMaple (1/2) Mrs McPherson/ Mrs TinsleyOak (Y3) Miss EdwardsElder (Y4) Mrs Wakeling / Miss CuthbertsonPine (Y5/6) Mrs Robinson On Wednesday, Thursday and Friday children going to Wood Green or Henry Box Schools in September will have their transition days. On Wednesday all children will spend the morning with their new teacher
- We appointed new Teaching Assistants this week. Mrs Melissa Norridge and Mrs Jeanette Lewis will join our team in September. Mrs Tammy Powell and Mrs Zoe Godfrey have been working casually in the school this year and they will also be part of our team in September.
- Lime ( Y6) Miss Jenkins
- Elm (Y5) Mr McPherson
- Willow (Y3/4) Mr Curtis
- Beech (Y1/2) Miss Fillary
- Birch (Y1/2) Ms Evans
- Cherry Tree (YR) Mrs Harris
- Class Structure for September
- The pass mark for the Year 1 phonics test was published this week. I am delighted to say that 95% of our Year 1 children have passed the test. Our results have remained at around 75% for a few years as the national average has risen to 81%. The introduction to Read Write Inc has made an incredible difference to how we teach and has paid dividends. I thank all the staff involved in the programme for their commitment and dedication to the programme and for the hard work they have carried out in prepping resources etc. Also, my thanks to parents for supporting your child with sounds, words and reading at home, as it has made a difference. And of course we mustn’t forget the children who have worked incredibly hard – well done!
- If eating outside children will need to bring their own drink but if eating in the hall, water is freely available. Should the weather continue to be fine in September when we return to school this option will be available for the first few weeks. I will communicate this to the children in September and in the weekly newsletter. Jacket potatoes are still available each day with the exception of Wednesdays.
At this moment in time we have over 100 books out on loan from our school library. Letters to individuals will be coming home today regarding these but we know there may be many other school books hidden away on shelves, in boxes, under the bed, lurking at the bottom of book bags or even in the car. Please can you have a look around and return to school any books with the Madley Brook stamp or sticker on them that your child is no longer reading or using.
We would really appreciate your help and support with this matter as books are expensive to buy and our present budget won’t allow us to replace all the ones that are lost.
Children in Years 4 and 5 have been invited to join running club in September to train for the Oxford Half Marathon. Those expressing an interest have received forms today. If your child has missed this communication for any reason then please ask them to see Miss Jenkins or Mrs Robinson on Monday as we have to make an application next week.
Garage Sale – last chance for sellers, register by 6th July.
This year, the Madley Garage Sale is going to be bigger and better than ever! It takes place on Sunday 22nd July, from 10am-2pm.
To appear on our map, book your seller’s place for £7.50 by emailing email@example.com before Friday 6th July and we’ll provide you with all the details you need to help make your day a success. All money raised will go towards our playground fund, Activate:MadleyPark.
Each year we consult parents about the school and your views are important to the governors in helping drive improvements in our school. Please take a few moments if you can to give us your feedback and return your forms by Friday next week.
It will come as no surprise to you that we have a wonderful group of Year 6 children. They visited the church this week and their guides were so impressed with their behaviour, their interest, their questions and their understanding when exploring the meaning of Pentecost. One of the guides told our staff that they always look forward to visits from Madley Brook children because they are so well behaved.
Via Pupil Post
Flyer about Henry Box Open Evening for Year 5
Via Parent Mail
Letter to Year 2
Letter to Year 5
Tuesday Whole School Science Day
Wednesday Transition Day
Wed – Fri Year 6 to secondary schools
Thursday M and M Productions A Little Princess
Friday Willow Class Assembly 2.30pm
Have a great weekend.